Five Things to Consider When Wearing a Plus-Size White Dress
Nothing is quite as eye-catching as a white dress for semi-formal and formal events, but you’ll want to be sure you’re not breaking any fashion rules. Before choosing your plus-size white (or ivory) dress, here are five tips you may want to consider:
- Avoid wearing white as a wedding guest. Unless the invitation says otherwise, the bride should be the only woman in white at a wedding.
- Find a shade that flatters your skin tone. Plus-size dresses in bright white shades are best for women with olive, ivory, or dark skin tones, while curvy ladies with fair skin look great in plus-size ivory dresses or gowns in muted tones of off-white or champagne.
- Coordinate your undergarments. While some believe that you should match the shade of your bra and other undergarments to the shade of your white dress, conventional wisdom states otherwise. It’s better to match your undergarments as closely to your skin tone as possible so that they are less noticeable under sheer white fabrics.
- Choose your shoes wisely. In warm weather, a strappy pair of beige heels or nude sandals adds an understated elegance to a white or ivory plus-size party dress. A black pair of pumps with matching black bag offers a beautiful contrast to a plus-size white dress no matter the season. Perhaps you'd like to try a pair of silver stilettos to wow your friends. Whatever shoes you decide to wear with your plus-size white or ivory dress, be sure they suit your style or the vibe you want to portray.
- Consider the fabric. Take advantage of warm temperatures at casual outdoor parties by choosing a stylish dress in breathable fabrics like cotton, chiffon, rayon, or linen. If your event location is outdoors in cold weather or inside an air-conditioned hall, it’s best to select plus-size ivory dresses in fabrics that tend to hold in the heat. Plus-size white dresses in velvet, velour, taffeta, and silk are sure to keep you warm, and dresses in synthetic fabrics like polyester are great insulators that block out the wind and rain.
With these tips, you can look and feel your best in your ivory or white plus-size dress. Whatever your special occasion, indulge your stylish fashion sense in an ivory or white dress in plus sizes that will provide a fabulous silhouette and bring out the confident beauty in you.